Founded in 1881 in what is now known as Millis, Massachusetts, Henry Millis (son of Lansing Millis, after whom the town was named in 1885) made a suggestion to Charles LaCroix, of the LaCroix Fruit Farm, that he call his sparkling cider “Clicquot” – after the famous French champagne, Veuve Clicquot – and start selling it. Shortly after, Clicquot Club was built by Henry Millis from money he had received from his father, Lansing.
The character “Kleek-O the Eskimo Boy” became the company’s well-known advertising symbol. An animated sign in Manhattan’s Times Square was the largest animated sign in the world from 1924 to 1926; and it even had a musical variety radio program, The Clicquot Club Eskimos, led by banjo player Harry F. Reser.
The company produced mainly sparkling cider for the first few years but later on Millis would experiment in other flavours as well. The sparkling cider was soon dropped and the company began focusing mainly on ginger ale. It was bought in 1969 by the Cott Beverage Corporation of Connecticut.
Product Code: 102137